Reports To: General Manager
Position Purpose: The executive chef (EC) is responsible for all food and pastry production sold in restaurant, banquet functions, and snack bar. The EC develops menus and creates and manages food purchase specifications and recipes and supervises production and pastry staff. The EC develops and monitors food and labor budgets for the department and maintains the highest professional food quality and sanitation standards.
The EC understands that all food is to be consistently outstanding and ensures that consistency and quality food is just as important in the snack bar as it is in high end wine dinners and events.
The Executive Chef at The Rim:
- Hires, trains, supervises, schedules, and evaluates the work of management staff in the food production departments.
- Plans menus with the GM for all food outlets in the club and for special occasions and events.
- Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks, and other kitchen employees to ensure that food preparation is economical and technically correct and stays within budgeted food and labor cost goals.
- Approves the requisition of products and other necessary food supplies.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Safeguards all food-preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation, and accident-prevention principles.
- Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation that help to ensure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs. The EC exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results. The EC takes corrective action as necessary to help ensure that financial goals are met.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Interacts with applicable staff to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests.
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality. The EC continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment, and terminology.
- Creates and maintains enjoyable and professional environment for employees.
- Recruits and makes hiring decisions. The EC also evaluates job performance of kitchen staff and coaches, rewards, and disciplines staff in a fair and legal manner.
- Recommends compensation rates and increases for kitchen staff.
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment.
- Provides training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff.
- Motivates and develops staff, including cross-training and promoting personnel.
- Visits dining area to welcome members.
- Reviews and approves product purchase specifications.
- Maintains an active physical presence during times of high business volume. The EC at The Rim is very hands-on.
- Undertakes special projects as assigned by the GM.
Salary: $49,000 – $53,000 DOE
If you are interested in this position and meet the qualifications, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org